Green chicken curry consists of Chicken Stew and is cooked with vegetables like onion and tomato and few other vegetables. Many different spices are then added as per the different cultures and regions to make the gravy more tasty.
Ingredients for Green Chicken Curry:
- 1 kg Chicken
- 1 cup Curd
- 2 tablespoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 ½ tablespoon of Green Chili paste
- ½ tablespoon Garam masala
- ½ tablespoon Cumin and Coriander powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 medium sized sliced Onion
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 cup Oil (½ cup for gravy paste and the other for frying/cooking)
- 1 tablespoon of Black Pepper powder
- 1 cup Coriander and Mint leaves
- 10-15 cloves of Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Water as required
Preparation of Green Chicken Curry:
Marination for the chicken:
- Take a large bowl or vessel and add the chicken in it.
- Now add Ginger Garlic paste, Green Chili paste, Curd and Salt to the chicken.
- Next add the Cumin and Coriander powder and Garam masala.
- Mix all the ingredients well with the chicken until all the ingredients get well coated with the chicken.
- Now take a lid or the vessel cover and cover the bowl or vessel and keep it aside.
- Let the chicken marinate for 20-25 mins
Coriander and Mint Gravy paste:
- Meanwhile the chicken gets marinated, we will prepare the Coriander and Mint gravy paste.
- For this we will take a mixer jar and add coriander and mint leaves in the mixer.
- Next we will add Green chilly, Garlic cloves, Lemon juice and salt to the mixer.
- Cover the mixer with its lid and start grinding the mixture.
- Grind it for 2 mins or until you get a rough paste.
- Then open the mixer lid and add ½ cup of oil into the grinded paste and cover the lid of the mixer.
- Again grind this mixture for 5 mins or until you get a smooth paste.
- Turn off the mixer and check if the paste is ready and then remove it out in a bowl.
- Keep this coriander and mint gravy paste aside.
Making the curry:
- Once the chicken is marinated and our gravy paste is ready we will start making the Green Chicken Curry.
- For this, turn on the gas flame on low and place a big vessel over it.
- Add 4-5 tablespoons of oil in the vessel and let it heat for a minute.
- Once the oil is heated up nicely, add the sliced Onion in the vessel.
- Saute and cook the mixture until the onion turns slightly transparent and brown.
- Once the onions turn slightly transparent and brown, add our marinated chicken in the vessel.
- Mix the marinated Chicken well with the onion and stir it up from all the sides and cook for 5 mins.
- Then add the Coriander and Mint paste in the vessel and mix it well with the chicken and onions
- Now add black pepper powder and mix it all well with the ingredients.
- Then add 1 cup of water into the gravy and stir it up all very well.(Note: If any mixture/paste remains in the mixer you can add the water in the mixer and then add it to the vessel).
- Cook the Chicken gravy for 10 mins or until it reaches a boil.
- Once the Chicken gravy reaches a good boil and is well cooked, turn off the gas flame.
- Our Green Chicken Curry is ready.
- Garnish the Green Chicken Curry with some Coriander leaves.
- Tastes best when served hot.
- Enjoy the Green Chicken Curry with rice or bread or as per your choice.